The Grant House at 150 Elgin Street sits at the south east corner of the site at the intersection of Elgin Street and Gloucester Street. The two and a half storey brick structure — which was originally a residence — was constructed in
1875 for its first owners Dr. James Grant and Maria Grant. The design of the building is attributed to Bradish Billings (1783-1864) and the architecture is representative of the Second Empire style, which was made fashionable in France during the reign of Napoleon III (1852-1870). The House was designed by the City of Ottawa under the Ontario Heritage Act in 1982. The Performance Court at 150 Elgin office
structure has been designed to cantilever over the Grant House and partially enclose it within the Winter Garden public space fronting onto Elgin Street. The objective is to preserve the Grant House and make it a focal point within the new building and an exciting retail space. Furthermore, the massing of Performance Court was designed in order to respect the scale of the Grant
House. The 21 storey office tower steps down in height as it approaches Elgin Street, creating a transition between the tower and historic Grant House.